Transmission Repairs, Replacements and Service for Simi Valley and Moorpark
If you are having transmission problems, don’t despair, it may not be a major issue. We have seen numerous times when a customer comes to us in a panic, expecting the worst because of a shifting problem. Then, after inspecting the vehicle, we find the problem was NOT a major problem.
Transmission Repairs and Rebuilding CAN be very expensive, sometimes several $1,000’s. HOWEVER, there are many minor causes of transmission problems that might scare you needlessly. Here are just a few that we have seen that could be at the root of your transmission or shifting problem.
NON-Major repairs that could be causing transmission troubles:
- Transmission Fluid Leaks / Low Fluid Level: Your vehicle may have a small or large leak of the Transmission Fluid. There are a few causes of this and the fix can often be quite affordable.
- Vacuum Lines that have come out or loose: When this happens usually, your transmission your transmission won’t shift at all. Of course, a non-shifting transmission can scare you, but if this is the cause, the cure is not painful at all.
- Linkages and/or cables that have come loose or out of adjustment: These run from the transmission to the throttle body. If one comes out of adjustment, you may experience shifting issues such as no shifting, hard shifting or late shifting.
- Bad Solenoid: The transmission contains shifting solenoids inside (and on some models, outside). The symptoms from this transmission problem cause a wide array of shifting problems like not shifting into particular gears. Usually, a bad solenoid gives problems with specific gears or sets of gears like 1st, 2nd and 3rd.
- Your Car’s Computer problems: Today’s cars all have computer in them to help coordinate all the functions in the car. But the computers can develop problems and seem to cause you transmission problems. Symptoms from a computer problem range from no shifting to erratic shifting.
- Sensor defects: Each car has sensors that help tell the transmission when to shift. Fixing this problem is much easier and more affordable than a new transmission.
- Bad Fluid: There are occasions that a fluid flush and change fix your transmission problems. In fact, we often like to do this to see if it solves the problem affordably. However, if we find that it doesn’t help, we remove the charges if we do a major transmission repair or rebuild. It’s often a smarter first step because it MAY fix the problem.
Transmission troubles due to bad fluid
Transmission problems due to prolonged bad fluid often results in major damage. The purpose of the transmission fluid is to protect the internal parts from damage and keep them operating smoothly and efficiently. However, just like motor oil, transmission fluid breaks down with time and use. Once transmission fluid loses its properties to protect the inside of the transmission, your transmission quickly degrades.
Usually when you have transmission problems due to neglected fluid, the problem is severe and expensive to repair. That is why it is less expensive to perform periodic Transmission Flushes. Because seals start harden inside. This causes delays going into gear, shifting issues, and eventually (or sometimes suddenly) complete internal transmission breakdown.
How often should transmission fluid be flushed and changed?
Your car’s owner manual lists the recommended service intervals. These are the minimums that the manufacturer requires so you remain covered under the warranty period. It’s important to point out that the manufacturer has a balancing act when they specify these intervals. On one hand they want you to protect the transmission from problems so they don’t have to pay excessively for repairs. On the other hand they don’t want to be known for requiring services at intervals that are too frequent. The latter issue causes damage to sales appeals.
There is a difference in Transmission Flush Services
Many auto repair shops and specialty shops do not perform a thorough transmission flush service. They simply drain some of the old fluid and add back in new fluid. Certainly this is better than only old neglected fluid, but it only helps a little.
What is needed is to completely flush out the old fluid completely from the transmission, then replace it with the right fluid and top it off with a transmission fluid additive that adds extra protection. The way we usually do this is by adding a special flushing fluid that increases the temperature of the fluid. This helps suspend contaminants that are adhering to the walls of the transmission.
Think of a full dirty bathtub with a ring around it. Just draining most of the water and replacing the drained water with clean water does not give you a clean bathtub. It’s similar with your transmission. Our process is like circulating clean, hot water through the bathtub until the water and the tub is clean. THEN, we add in new water.
Bill’s is your best solution for transmission service and repair for Simi Valley and Moorpark.
If you live or work in Simi Valley, Moorpark or surrounding areas, you’re lucky. Bill’s is a long established AAA Approved Auto Repair shop. The company employs three ASE Master Technicians, some of the best in the area. The company is the only ASE Blue Seal of Excellence Repair Facility in Simi Valley or Moorpark. We have strong alliances with transmission vendors and this allows us to give you a variety of great choices for Transmission Rebuilding, Re-manufacturing or Repairs.